Upgrading Dynamics CRM On Premise to Dynamics 365: A Step-by-Step Guide
Are you still running Dynamics CRM On Premise and considering an upgrade to Dynamics 365? With the release of Dynamics 365, Microsoft has made it easier than ever to move from on-premise to the cloud. In this article, we will look at the key benefits of upgrading to Dynamics 365 and provide a step-by-step guide on how to make the transition.
Why Upgrade to Dynamics 365?
Dynamics 365 is a cloud-based solution that offers businesses a range of benefits over on-premise systems. Here are just a few of the reasons why you should consider upgrading:
1. Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO): With Dynamics 365, you don’t need to invest in servers, hardware, or IT staff to maintain it. You simply pay a monthly or annual subscription fee, which covers all of your licensing and maintenance costs.
2. Greater Scalability: Dynamics 365 is designed to be highly scalable, so it can grow with your business. Whether you’re adding new users, expanding into new markets, or introducing new functionality, Dynamics 365 can handle it all.
3. Enhanced Security: Dynamics 365 is hosted on Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform, which is one of the most secure cloud environments in the world. It offers advanced security features such as multi-factor authentication, encryption, and threat detection.
4. Improved User Experience: Dynamics 365 comes with a modern, intuitive interface that is easy to use and navigate. It also integrates seamlessly with other Microsoft products like Outlook, Excel, and Power BI, making it easy to access and analyze your data.
5. Access to New Features and Functionality: With Dynamics 365, you get access to the latest features and functionality as soon as they become available. Microsoft is constantly updating and improving the platform, so you can be sure that you are always using the most advanced tools and technology.
Step-by-Step Guide to Upgrading to Dynamics 365
Now that you know the benefits of upgrading, let’s look at how to make the transition from on-premise to Dynamics 365. Here are the steps you need to follow:
Step 1: Assess Your Current System
Before you start the upgrade process, you need to take a close look at your current system to identify any potential issues or roadblocks. This includes reviewing your hardware and software requirements, checking for compatibility issues, and assessing your data migration needs.
Step 2: Choose Your Deployment Model
Dynamics 365 offers two deployment models: online and on-premises. If you choose the online model, you’ll need to migrate your data to the cloud. If you choose the on-premises model, you’ll need to install Dynamics 365 on your own servers. Consider which deployment model works best for your business needs, budget, and IT resources.
Step 3: Prepare for the Migration
Once you’ve chosen your deployment model, you’ll need to prepare for the migration. This includes creating a migration plan, identifying any customizations or configurations that need to be migrated, and testing the migration process.
Step 4: Migrate Your Data
The next step is to migrate your data to Dynamics 365. This can be a complex process, especially if you have a lot of data or customizations. You may want to consider working with a Microsoft partner or consultant who has experience with data migration.
Step 5: Configure Dynamics 365
Once your data has been migrated, you’ll need to configure Dynamics 365 to meet your business needs. This includes setting up users, security roles, workflows, and other customizations.
Step 6: Test and Train Your Users
Before going live with Dynamics 365, you should test the system thoroughly to ensure that everything is working as expected. You’ll also need to train your users on the new system so that they can use it effectively.
Step 7: Go Live with Dynamics 365
Once you’ve completed all of the steps above, you’re ready to go live with Dynamics 365. This involves turning off your old system and switching over to the new one. Make sure to communicate the change to your users and provide them with any necessary support.
Upgrading from Dynamics CRM On-Premise to Dynamics 365 can be a daunting task, but it’s worth it for the many benefits that come with a cloud-based solution. By following the steps outlined above, you can ensure a smooth transition to Dynamics 365 and take advantage of its advanced features and functionality. If you need help with the upgrade process, don’t hesitate to reach out to a Microsoft partner or consultant who can guide you through the process.